Total soybean meal consumption in the U.S. during 2016 was estimated at nearly 30.3 million tons, and domestic animal agriculture uses approximately 97 percent of the SBM consumed in the United States.
Through purchases from and sales to many other industries, U.S. animal agriculture in turn has a large impact on the rest of the national and global economies. In the U.S. during 2016 animal agriculture's support of the national economy included:
- Job impact throughout the economy 1,696,275
- Impact on total output in the economy $320 Billion
- Impact on household income $69.1 Billion
- Impact on income taxes paid $16.4 Billion
- Impact on property taxes paid $7.4 Billion